Quick Quarter - First Half of 2009
With our Quick Quarter service we are offering you quick and compact information on the current business development of the SolarWorld Group. In a brief summary you will find the most important facts and figures on the first half of 2009.
Naturally, we will also make available to you our detailed group interim report on the first half of 2009 with more detailed information. Just click on the button marked “More information” and you will be linked immediately.
- Experts are expecting an upswing in the international solar market. In Germany solar plants are particularly attractive as capital investments at the moment because of low prices. In the USA more dynamic growth is expected as of the second half of the year.
- SolarWorld is well prepared for an increasing demand and consistently continues the expansion of its international production capacities.
- The revenue forecast for 2009 above previous year’s level is confirmed, with 1 billion EUR as next stage’s goal.
Earnings, Finance and Asset Situation
- SolarWorld increased the group-wide sales volumes versus the first half of 2008 by 26 per cent to 239 MW.
- Revenues changed in the first half of 2009 by -6.0 per cent to 401.6 (previous year: 427.1) million €. Thus, SolarWorld was largely able to maintain its revenue level in the first half of 2009 in spite of an industry-wide decline in prices by about 25 per cent.
- In comparison with the first quarter of 2009 (176.3 million €) the group was able to increase revenues in the second quarter (225.3 million €) by 27.8 per cent.
Business Development First Half 2009
- In the first half of 2009 SolarWorld was able to successfully expand its module and solar kit business in its core market Germany.
- The expansion of our international production capacities is proceeding as planned: In the first half of 2009 we invested
135.9 Mio. € worldwide, 84.7 Mio. € at our German site in
- SolarWorld is successfully pushing ahead the further development of its brand: Already now we are by far the best-known solar company in Germany (according to a study by EuPD Research).
Market and Framework Conditions
- The international solar market developed moderately in the first half of 2009. The main reasons for this were financing difficulties as well as weather conditions that were adverse to assembly at the beginning of the year. The low-key demand met a significantly increased supply, which caused strong price pressure in the industry.
- The demand picked up in the course of the second quarter mainly in the roof systems business.
- International market driver in the reporting period was the retail business in Germany.
- The SolarWorld stock went up by 7 per cent in the first half of 2009. At the cut-off date (30 June 2009) it reached a closing price
of 16.72 €.
- The SolarWorld AG Annual General Meeting on 20 May 2009 approved an increased dividend of 0.15 (previous year: 0.14) € per share and a capping of the Management Board salaries to 20 times the average gross income in the group.
- Capital market interest in the SolarWorld stock has increased further. At the cut-off date 40 (previous year: 29) sell-side analysts covered SolarWorld.